Entering its 67th season and second season developing new work, Theater on the Lake is excited to again call for proposals for its 2019-2020 Theater on the Lake: In the Works New Play Commission. For decades this festival has successfully showcased Chicago’s finest off-Loop theater. In order to better support and nurture Chicago’s thriving theater community, this festival is expanding to also support the advancement of new work by Chicago artists through the development of one new play over a two year partnership.
The 2017-2018 Inaugural Commission was awarded to Sandra Delgado, for her play, Felons and Familias. After a successful two year partnership, with staged readings at Garfield Park Conservatory, Theater on the Lake, Kelvyn Park and Eugene Field, the play was mounted for the first time as part of the 2018 Theater on the Lake festival at Hamlin Park this past July. It went on to receive additional support from The Goodman Theatre’s New Stages Festival in the Fall of 2018.
The 2019-2020 selections will be curated by a diverse committee of Chicago Literary Managers, Playwrights and Dramaturgs, with support from Artistic Curators Quenna Barrett and Tony Santiago. The recipient of this new play commission will receive the following support:
1. A small stipend;
2. Three seasonal public readings held in Chicago Park District locations throughout the city, kicking off in the Summer of 2019. These readings will be fully cast by a Chicago Casting Director, and supported by established literary managers and dramaturgs in Chicago;
3. Consultation with literary managers and local dramaturgs throughout the development process;
4. Developmental production as part of Theater on the Lake’s 2020 season.
At this time the Chicago Park District’s Theater on the Lake is accepting submissions at https://chicagoparkdistrict.submittable.com/submit/136927/2019-2020-theater-on-the-lake-in-the-works-call-for-submissions. Submissions must include:
1. A full-length, never-before-produced play as a draft (no musicals, please);
2. A statement (approximately 500 words) explaining why you are interested in collaborating with Theater on the Lake to continue developing this play as the commission;
3. A professional resume outlining your playwriting and other related experience
(Please Note: Synopses and 10-page work samples will NOT be considered.)
In order for your play to be considered, you must meet the following criteria:
1. Playwrights must be a Chicago resident;
2. You are interested in citywide community feedback as part of the development process;
3. You have had at least one fully produced play (academic productions are eligible).
The submission deadline is April 5, 2019. We will notify you of our decision by May 10, 2019.